Saturday 12 May 2007

Installing PCLinuxOS to Hard Disk

I have to recognize that I was a bit "silly" trying to install the PCLinuxOS Live CD to hard disk. I started googleing looking on how to install it to disk, I was trying to locate the version of PCLinuxOS that I needed to download in order to install it to HD. I was surprised that I couldn't find it easily, all I was finding was the live cd version... strange...

Finally, I found an entry where explained how to install to HD... just click on the Install icon on the Desktop loaded with the Live CD!!!!

I felt really bad for the 30 mins that I lost looking for the HD version :-)

The installation to HD involves creating partitions on your HD and writting a new Master Boot Record (MBR) so the BIOS knows what to load when the PC boots. I'm going to install it in my old PII 300Mhz with 512Mb of RAM that was running XP quite slowly. This is a old computer that I used mainly to download music and films so I backed up the useful information to my recently purchased 250Gb external USB drive and wiped out the old PC's HD! I felt good and uneasy at the same time wiping out a HD that has been with me for almost 10 years! (If I remember well).

I followed the instructions of the installation wizard, selecting the option of deleting the current partitions, this created new ones and asked me to reboot and select existing ones. I did so and everything installed smoothly. I didn't check the time it took to install, but I think it was something between 20 and 30 minutes. It has to read, decompress and write the whole CD and that takes some time by the forces of physics :-)

There I was, with a PII 300MHz running PCLinuxOS much faster than it was running XP and just in a while!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this - I couldn't figure out why PCLinux wouldn't install to my hard drive. All I got was the "you need to log out" message every time I tried. Nowhere (except here) did I see it mentioned that I had to choose "use existing partitions" after logging back in - that worked. ALthough it then presented me with 4 partitions of various sizes and asked me what to put in each one.... I was hoping that, since it picked the partition size, it would know what to put in each one. Anyway, thanks - that was frustrating, and you helped...